This is a healthy orange-flaxseed muffin recipe. The almond milk replaces the traditional vegetable oil, and the brown sugar-honey combo replaces white sugar. Try topping it with a little peanut butter for a breakfast treat.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup orange juice
2 egg whites
1/3 cup almond milk
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup raisins
Optional : 1/4 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Mix all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flaxseed, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Beat orange juice, egg whites, almond milk, brown sugar, and honey together in a large bowl until smooth. Stir flour mixture into the orange juice mixture just until the dry ingredients are moistened completely. Fold in Raisins through the batter. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Optional : add a few peanut butter chips on top after the batter has been spooned into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Makes 12 Muffins