Your past is your past for a reason. We tend to bring our pasts with us to the present because we feel the need to carry it around us for one reason or another. We have insecurities as human beings, and those insecurities is just one of the reason why we do carry it with us.
Living in the NOW is where your life is . We can not go back and change the past, the past helps us in a way to make ourselves grow. To learn from what happened and move on to not make those same choices or mistakes.
If you find yourself living in the past it is a good time to ditch it and for good.
Steps for living in the Present:
- Breathe -Breathing fully and deeply does not come natural to me. Well, I’m sure it did at one point, but somewhere along the line I became a shallow breather. The more wound up I get, the less I breathe. I’m trying to be mindful of my breath, especially in those moments when I need it the most.
- Smile. Each day is full of endless possibilities! Start it with a smile. You are in control of your attitude every morning, keep it optimistic and expectant.
- Forgive the past- I’ve been through some crappy things in my life and no matter how long ago these past hurts occurred, I will catch myself thinking about it as if it is happening to me now. Sometimes memories are so vivid and real. By failing to forgive things that have happened in my past, I fail to move forward and to be present in the moment. Forgiveness is a personal choice, but when I chose to forgive the past, I feel more free.
- Stop worrying. You can’t fully appreciate today if you worry too much about tomorrow. Realize that tomorrow is going to happen whether you worry about it or not. And since worry has never accomplished anything for anybody, redirect your mental energy elsewhere
- Focus on the now – In order to live in the moment, you need to focus on the now. Focus on what you’re doing. Shut off the TV, turn off the computer, slow down and savor the present.
- Give thanks -Be thankful. Sounds easy, doesn’t it? But it isn’t always. It doesn’t have to be Thanksgiving for you to feel grateful and express that gratitude.Every now and then, remember to stop and take stock of just how good you have it. When your friend makes you smile, thank her for being in your life. When your boss gives you a new task, say thanks, remembering that you still have a job and can put food on the table. When you think it or feel it, say it right then. Live in the moment by expressing your gratitude when you feel it.
To live in the moment is beautiful. It is genuine freedom. And every single one of us deserves to experience it. So make sure to put your past in a box. Close it tightly and throw it away. You are not there, but here in the NOW. Releasing it will set you FREE.